How to apply
Funding principles and criteria
In its current research funding strategy, FOREUM only considers research applications received in the wake of a specific FOREUM call for research proposals. In principle, FOREUM strives to issue two calls per year. Applications are invited following a two-step approach:
- First, applicants are invited to send a Letter of Intent following announcement of a call for proposals. In general 8 weeks are allowed for this first application step.
- After careful expert evaluation of the received Letters of Intent by the FOREUM Scientific Committee, a selected number of applicants are invited to work our and submit a Full Project Proposal following our standard template. In general again 8 weeks are allowed for this second step.
In general, FOREUM supports research following these criteria:
- Applications are multi-centre projects involving partners from at least three different countries
- Any given institution leads on one application only; that institution, or its staff, may however participate in other projects as collaborator
- The Principal Investigators, and the majority of project contributions, come from Europe or neighboring countries as defined by EULAR membership
- The major funding source of the project is FOREUM; additional funding sources must be disclosed in terms of donor and amount; industry funding is considered exceptionally
- Occasionally, FOREUM may consider project with a focus on developing scientific grounds for a large funding application such as the European Union or National Institutes of Health.